LGMD Awareness Day was founded by Carol Abraham, who has lived with LGMD since childhood. For so many years, she wished there was more awareness of LGMD – within the general public and also within the medical community. Through collaboration with a variety of LGMD foundations, Carol began plans to organize the first LGMD Awareness Day which was celebrated worldwide on September 30, 2015.
LGMD Awareness Day has become an annual collaborative effort to educate the public and unite the LGMD community while also raising awareness of the many individuals living with Limb Girdle Muscular Dystrophy worldwide. The sixth annual global “Limb Girdle Muscular Dystrophy Awareness Day” will be held on September 30th, 2020.
Currently, the LgmdDay Planning Team consists of:
• Carol Abraham — Coalition to Cure Calpain 3 (LGMD 2A/R1)
• Bryan Barber – LGMD2d Foundation (LGMD 2D/R3)
• Kelly Brazzo – Cure LGMD2i Foundation (LGMD 2I/R9)
• Karen Cole – Patient Advocate (LGMD 2I/R9)
• Kent Frewing – Kurt+Peter Foundation (LGMD 2C/R5)
• Scott Frewing – Kurt+Peter Foundation (LGMD 2C/R5)
• Jean-Pierre Laurent – LGMD2i Fund (LGMD 2I/R9)
• Jennifer Levy — Coalition to Cure Calpain 3 (LGMD 2A/R1)
• Jane McColl Lockwood – McColl-Lockwood Laboratory for MD Research (LGMD 2I/R9)
• Sarah Shira – Jain Foundation (LGMD 2B/R2)
• Brad Williams – Jain Foundation (LGMD 2B / R2)
• Michele Wrubel – Coalition to Cure Calpain 3 (LGMD 2A/R1)
• Ralph Yaniz – LGMD2L Foundation (LGMD 2L/R12)
The Lgmd Day Planning Team welcomes any suggestions or initiatives that you can recommend to help raise awareness of limb girdle muscular dystrophy (LGMD).
To volunteer or submit ideas, please contact us via e-mail